RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:31 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Dan, you have to understand a point. The FAA has turn over, as soon as the AMA feels like it's making progress, another appointment or dept move happens and that person has a different view or feel for things and to some extent the AMA starts over.

This particular person was unaware of our strong feelings and the ramifications to the hobby of 400 feet limits. That's not to say nobody in the FAA understands, that means this particular person was unaware. Now he is.

Yes, I understand that Mr. Gibson has only been with this position for the past 3 or 4 months; is what I thought I heard him say. But, this oversight, that seems small to the FAA, is a huge detriment to model aviation, should one of those many managers make 400' as a hard limit. Mr. Gibson is finding out kind of late if he is in charge of the UAS system and the representative to the AMA. So, at a pen stroke between these different managers, 400' becomes a hard limit. Then, again, the problem becomes enforcement and how to accurately measure 400 agl at every model flying field.
I went through 5 or 6 years of heated arguing with every new Club President that came to the power at fields that I flew. Ruins a good day at the field. AS you said, each new person comes in with a new interpretation of the 400'. I spent $10k of thousands this past summer to move from that field, only to possibly have the FAA come in and accidently "hard pen the 400' agl rule". due to the oversight of information passed to the next guy, or AMA hasn't told the next guy!!. In reality, it shouldn't even be mentioned anywhere as a "Safety Guideline.". And, yes, Bob, I understand it isn't a FAR Reg. or rule. But, as others have said, if something happens, that pilot will be hung out to dry, and possibly in a jail cell. Will JPO or the AMA come and help that pilot with legal cost? No. And, as I have said on other post, those who "swear" they don't fly above 400' are lying........period.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 01-13-2016 at 01:35 PM.