RCU Forums - View Single Post - Four Hundred Feet?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 05:26 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I agree and I would have done the same thing as well because if I were not properly trained and educated how would I have known that the local RC clubs are not the problem?

As you put it, "clubs need to come up with a plan". I think clubs need to address this issue and have a solid plan on how they will handle it - especially clubs in busy areas as they are more likely to encounter this. I question how many clubs will make the needed effort - they will deal with the results of the lack of effort they put in.

Out of all the variables, I think location of an RC field is probably the biggest one. Heavily populated areas are more likely to get reports and sightings of "drones" as most (not all) of your reckless drone flyers are kids and adults in neighborhoods that choose to do stupid acts. Any RC field in close proximity will have a lot to deal with.

We all know it will happen. It is just how we address it. I realize we do not have all the facts in the video, yet being solutions minded does not negate addressing when issues might have been mishandled. Calling out the possibility of someone not using good judgment does not need to be categorized as negative.
Yup, location is key. This particular club is on a heavily traveled road, and the local cops use this road as a bypass route when on calls, rather than go through the historical district close by. The proximate to the airstrip is the other issue. They recognize that one situation that gets out of control could easily doom this club, as it is also on town property. One of the very active members in the club is a former cop, and still has good connections with the town, so I would say they are in good hands.

The same should be said for anyone deciding to fly at a location other than a club as well. Keep a cool and calm head when approached by LE. You never know if they are were called by someone else to investigate, or really just want to chat because they are interested in getting into the hobby.