RCU Forums - View Single Post - Four Hundred Feet?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
What our doggie friend here is missing , is that no one is "dancing on Glow's grave" or singing "Ding dong the witch is dead' , it's just a simple fact that when I walk into my 5 closest LHS' I can (and do) buy all kinds of brushless motors , ESCs , Lipos , and all things electric flight right there in stock (cause it sells) VS needing to order all but the "new old stock" (meaning , been on the shelf forever) engine powered stuff and this even includes fuel ! I am quite happy that I have enough fuel and engines to power my glow planes plenty till someone else inherits it all but as Chris and I both say here , Glow has been pretty much relegated to "niche market" status at the hobby shops and flying fields at least near me . Those that are still flying engines are mostly doing gasoline now (even "gas/glow" , gasoline being fired by a glow plug) but the 80 or better % of flying I see , is electric . Me myself , the motorhead that I am , I likely fly 75% electric to 25% glow , just for not wanting to clean slime as Rob also mentioned . I do have a couple of gassers but don't have the experience with them that I've got with Glow ...
Yup, I flew glow for 20 years, have nothing against it, still have two glow engines, but no plans to purchase any in the foreseeable future. Still keeping all my glow starting equipment as well.

I also to attend several major events each year and have 4-5 different RC magazine subscriptions. Based on what I see and hear, glow has declined significantly in recent years and it continues to decline. My club used to do a bulk fuel purchase every year of a full skid, ~50 cases. Guess what? Not doing it this year.