RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skyshark Dauntless Build
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 11:46 AM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[HR][/HR] Got more done today on the cowl. I drew lines where the back of the cowl should be on the blocks and using the Dremel router, cut down the thickness of the cowl on each block. I lined the cowl up at the top and drilled/screwed one screw in to hold cowl. I then checked the roundness of the cowl to the fuse and drilled the remaining holes so all around the cowl lines up with the fuse side profile.
Put the engine back and cut the hole for the engine head. I'll be using a remote glow for this as the glow plug ends up real close to the bottom cowl mount. Cut out the plastic belly pan and started trimming a little at a time. I ended up adding 3/16 of balsa to the front of the wings leading edge to get the plastic back enough where it belonged. With everything in place there will be a need for a very little amount of body filler to make all fit correctly. Actually pretty impressed with the fit of the plastic.

Cowl blocks after they were dadoed. Cowl lies flush with blocks and fuse.

Top of cowl with gun recesses sanded out with the dremel. I will be using low profile screws on the finished plane.

This is a picture inside the cowl showing the bottom block and the spacing all around the balsa ring.

Not a lot of the head sticks out but enough to keep it cooler.

With the engine moved over 1/10" from center for the right thrust, the prop hub is pretty much dead center.

Cowl on, motor in, canopies and tail on. I like to assemble my builds from time to time as I build for inspiration.

The classic dauntless lines starting to show, especially in this angle.

Just starting on the wing fairings now.

Plastic belly pan in place. You can see piece of balsa added at the leading edge to match things up better. It's pretty close.

You can see in this picture there will be a need for very little body filler to get it to be right.

Last edited by chistech; 01-26-2016 at 11:59 AM.