RCU Forums - View Single Post - Incompatibility with CAT air trap and Kingtech/Jetcat engines?
Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 PM
TTRotary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marquisvns
Between myself and Dirk, we've had troubleshot over a dozen complaints of flame outs, with pump limit reached and speed low message display on these ECU, after exhausted all possibilities, all came down to the same solution - change out the CAT [for] UAT. A customer based in Florida Dirk was supporting went as far as cutting it open and found much debris in the canister.

We have been holding back on this matter with caution to damage the reputation of CAT, but ultimately, I suppose revealing facts that has direct impact to safety is always important.

Barry, if not the CAT, then what high capacity air trap does KT recommend? I ask because the UAT and related devices, including the product you carry, simply does not cut it over 500ML/mn flow. Even with great caution taken to make sure all fuel line, clunk, and clunk line IDs remain at least 4mm in a 120N system, the sides of the plastic UAT bottle suck in and pump voltage is over target. This means reduced working area on the UT membrane (cavitation) and higher vacuum pull on the UAT side of the pump, which means higher bubble risk. I have seen this consistently.

I know BVM has rolled out a new UAT with larger fittings, but the weakness of the soft bottle sidewalls and limited element area remains. Turbine fuel flow has come a long way since the days of the RAM 500s and the original UAT. So if not the CAT, then which one for high flow systems: JMP, Intairco? Have you tested these? All I know is that "just go back to the UAT" for larger turbines is just not a realistic recommendation. With all sue respect and IMO, of course.

Last edited by TTRotary; 01-26-2016 at 08:31 PM.