RCU Forums - View Single Post - Control Line noob asking questions
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 AM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I wonder how a little ASP .12 would do on the Akromaster? I do have a BB Fox .15 I could use, or maybe the older Magnum .15, but it sounds like if you wanna keep this plane light, you need a light engine as well.
Hi Vert, If the ASP .12 is under 3.75ozs , it should keep the wing loading at an acceptable

level. The point of all my blabbing is that wing loading is the key factor for changing

directions; in essence; the ability for the model to "pop" a tight corner. Airfoil thickness

is not the most important factor. I'll just let that point sink in for now.

As for the Fox .15BB being suitable, it is not. The engine is way too heavy and way too

thirsty, and all the power that engine delivers is wasted on the Akromaster's small

wing area(240 sq"). Before the rule change that restricted venturi intake area;

many USA FAI Combat flyers were using modified Fox .15BB with lotsa Nitromethane

to be competitive with very high performance European(and Nelsons). Tom Fluker

a Texan, used modified Foxes to win the FAI World Combat championship in the late

1980s.

My Fai Combat models were powered by the Fox .15BB, they had 400 sq" wings, and

were capable of 89-93 mph, depending on nitro %. Stock Fox 15BBs would fly the

same model design 81-82 mph. So...Lighter engine, a displacement providing adequate

power loading; yields a model with a lighter wing loading, easier to meet the proper CG

without adding much tail ballast and if a smaller displacement engine is used, then the fuel

tank capacity is also smaller. I had to shorten the nose of my scratch built Akromaster

because of the smaller fuel tank. Going back to your Fox .15BB, you might have a great

flying model if you mount it in a 390 sq" FliteStreak! Top Flite actually showed a suggested

engine range of .15 cu" - .35 cu" engines in their early magazine advertising. If you think it

cannot possibly work; a no longer with us friend, built and flew a 'Streak with an MVVS

.12 cu" plain bearing diesel.

Tony