RCU Forums - View Single Post - Control Line noob asking questions
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sigrun
The blurb went along the lines of .35 for a hot combat ship and .15 for a trainer didn't it Tony? Caveat -capacities relative to engines of the era.

Gotta love an optimist! Loves a challenge? And lives where the wind don't blow?

Long outdated even as a slow combat ship, as I perceive it purpose for this model today generally would be a profile sport-'stunter'. Wouldn't you agree? Like SIG's Skyray 35, pretty much the optimum engine capacity today for that purpose for an original Flite Streak would be in the .20~.25in³ range depending upon whether TBR/PB, stroke, induction and port timing. Pretty much all available two-stroke IC engines today R/C orientated rev like 'ell Schnuerled which can't be avoided, and generally oversquare with high RPM timing although there are some more favourable to our purpose than others.

I use a .21A ASP (TBR) in mine (Skyray) in lieu of the LA .25's (PB) unavailability. Works quite well for purpose, but one can't escape the fact that it's Schnuerled and wants to rev.

FAI F2D Combat kit early 90's - a sample of two types of a batch of half a dozen still operational. All scratch built includign cutting of the LE foam cores. Too much of a handful for me now in comp. rig. Power by F2D .15 TBR glow - various Russian & Italian (Cipolla Combat).
Vintage diesel combat kit late 60's - now there's definitive flat section. Under restoration. .15 P.A.W. TBR Diesel powered.

Hi Again Sigrun, I think Aldrich was actually thinking of the Oliver Tiger mkIII when he suggested using a .15 cu" engine for stunt training.

Yes, my friend did love a challenge. When 80mph Combat was in it's beginning life here in Southern California, my other friend(Bare) who

started the event; used 2.5cc BB diesels powering late 1950s and early 1960s Combat designs. They flew really well on the regulation 60' lines.

So, I started flying smaller 280-300 sq" designs, also powered by period 2.5cc diesels. Bare went to 400 sq" models using a Nelson,

Rossi and MVVS 2.5cc engines. He found that they lapped several mph too fast: 81-83 mph sans streamer with 8' X 6" props..

So I blew up the early 1980s FAI "Tamerlane" fro 320sq" to 370sq" and it was just legal for the event, lapping (sans streamer)

78-79mph with a cut down Graupner prop(7.75" X 6"). The model slowed down to 75-76mph when towing the streamer. I was using

a Super Tigre G.15 RV diesel, that was modified for 1980's Fai Team race. We were matched against .35 cu" powered models.

Our advantage was the lighter wing loading , hence quicker turning models. They do fly speed limit Combat still, but usually the

speed is restricted to 75 mph. I haven't flown Combat in 18 years, especially since 1/2A Combat(USA) has been practically

abandoned.

Tony