RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnyman
I have a couple of byron f-16 kits for the future anything in the build/flying info would be helpful, has yours flown/
Well in the 80's it had os77 power , rossi 81 and picco and 200 plus flights they flew so good we could nose it up in a 15 mph breeze and back the throttle and hover like a kite, one time I had a extra set of wings that were beat up and had a bet with a friend that it would fly with the wings cut down to 6 inches long, I know crazy hua , well it flew, just made a rudder turn cause the ailerons were mostly missing and a fairly hot landing. We didn't get to crazy with hanging all kinds of scale stuff all over it for weight savings, but we found at around 11.5 lbs it had good performance and vertical. We thought we were fast until BVM showed up with those little hotrods, at 160mph for a ducted fan jet we thought Bob had built the bottom line in jet aircraft,,,, and still going strong today. I have a bunch of little tricks to make the Byron f16 a rock solid flyer , most important one is DO NOT use any nyrod control linkage as the plan calls for, run the servos as close to the control horn and use 4/40 steel linkage rods and ball ends , we made 3/16 ply mounts to hold servos in the wing pockets and in rear also for elevator and rudder. I came very close to loosing the first one due to flutter in a dive, that's when all the nyrod came out..................