RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS MAX 40FP diesel conversion
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 04:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks Dave H. I am still new, but I got it pretty well figured out. Not quite a "pro" yet, but I'm getting there. On the mention of fuel economy - my conversions are mostly bigger ones - .45s and .51s... My final needle settings ended up being the same or slightly richer than the glow setting (on 5% nitro fuel) and would burn through 2oz of fuel in about a minute and fifteen seconds at WOT. Maybe minute and a half. Some engines run at their fastest with the carb about 80% open, a couple of mine will turn an extra 800-1,200rpm if run wide open. I was getting acquainted and learning the techniques, so I more or less tested the limits and the fuel economy. Running WOT all the time will not save on fuel. It burns almost as much as it did on glow. Running slower will save fuel for sure.

Off topic, but good entertainment IMO... A diesel sounds funny in slow motion, especially at about 1,400-1,500rpm. It sounds almost as if it fires every other revolution or every second revolution.. Towards the end of this video, you can almost see the prop stop and pick back up. Funny to see. http://youtu.be/W73TxG0ph44

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-05-2016 at 04:30 AM.