RCU Forums - View Single Post - So what really sets one engine make/model apart from another?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:22 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrovein
I didn't read through the whole page, can do so tomorrow.
The thing is, if you run a short manifold the puls has shorter way to travel, so the exhaust duration might be where it needs to be.
A pipe that slows it down might be a way to go also, the conical manifold should slow it down and the longer length delays it further.
But I don't know how long the onroad manifold are and how they behave, so I really couldn't say...
Nobody seems to know how long those conical manifolds are. Generally, the higher the powerband desired, the shorter the pipe. This is how full wave tuned pipes work. Lower load/faster rpm = shorter pipe and higher exhaust timing. Higher load/lower rpm = longer pipe/shorter exhaust timing. If I have an engine with a strong bottom end already and maybe a little anemic on top, I'd want to adjust the top end to be stronger which would likely require a shorter pipe (as a system).

If I was made of money, I'd order one of every popular pipe and all the different manifolds and go to town with testing. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of resource (money), so I'm trying to determine through this thread what's the best case scenario and start with that. I've been tempted to even cut the stock LST header (and take a small chunk out each time) and test it out. That's how full wave pipes are tuned, I don't see how it wouldn't work with a car header.

This is what I get for trying to put a fancy engine in a MT and make it go fast. Nobody does this because everyone is brushless happy. I like my nitro MTs and will always have one or two. They come with a better challenge that I much prefer.