RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not for normal patrols they don't. The FAR only exempts emergency flights. Patrols are not emergency.
LOL... Yes they do.

Any aircraft is exempt during an emergency.

FAR 91.119 also provides a general exemption for helicopters.

But that is not what I am talking about - I am talking about specific exemptions for "normal" Police Operations, including patrols.

Many US based Police Aviation Units will have specific FAA Waivers. It does not have to be an emergency at all.

Read this document by the FAA - https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...dia/LowFly.pdf

"Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft.The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power-out emergencies. Furthermore, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility."

In other countries the Police exemptions are written into legislation.

e.g. Australia - Police Helicopters are exempt by Regulation 157.

Low flying

(1) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not fly the aircraft over:

(a) any city, town or populous area at a height lower than 1,000 feet; or
(b) any other area at a height lower than 500 feet.

(4) Subregulation (1) does not apply if:

(g) the aircraft is a helicopter:

(i) operated by, or for the purposes of, the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory; and
(ii) engaged in law enforcement operations

The UK.

Exemptions from the low flying prohibitions
Rule 6
The exemptions from the low flying prohibitions are as follows—

(e) Police air operator's certificate Any aircraft flying in accordance with the terms of a police air operator's certificate shall be exempt from the 500 feet rule, the 1,000 feet rule and the prohibitions on flying over open air assemblies and on landing and taking off near open air assemblies.

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.