RCU Forums - View Single Post - O.S. LA 46 RC to CL
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Liner
We were towards the end planking the on trying out a 3 wire system. I don't know anything about this 2.4 system... Are you using a radio and receiver with batteries and a servo?
Well congratulations on returning, Ya know its amazing how so many all those years ago do return eventually. Something one could never explain to those that may have never experienced before the joy of a successful controlline flight.

The direct answer is yes, I am using a full 2.4 flight pack that would have been used in any RC airplane. This includes one tiny servo, a small Receiver, 270 mah four cell battery pack and a tiny micro switch.
This may see excessive weight wise but it is not when used with .35 and up sized airplane which is what you need with that LA46. The real key to using an off the self 2.4 RC system for controlline is not the installation of a few components in the airplane but how to use the standard two stick transmitter.

There has been much effort expended upon different ways to do this over the years every thing from hanging the tranny on the belt to gutting the tranny and doing a custom pistol grip type of box/controlline handel. Yes the pistol grip seems the most natural, However I can confidently report that in my opinion after twelve years of using one of the early non RF over the wire systems before the advent of 2.4 That a pistol grip handle is not the best way to go.

What I have done since converting to 2.4 for throttle is to use any brand conventional two stick transmitter and associated flight components and I wear the transmitter with a neck strap in front of my chest with the stick pointing toward the airplane. This makes it very simple reach with whichever hand that is free from the handle to find the throttle and make a change.

Now lets talk about throttling during the flight. I have found that with the old Over-the-wire the pistol grips or modern 2.4 that trying to change throttle for various manuvers is perhaps not the best way to go and at first at least is to just using the throttle for The launch and the landings when you want to land. Now later for touch and goes feathering the throttle will be required. My favorite flights will involve multiple touch and goes flying slowly alternately applying full power and holding it on while doing your stunt pattern at fixed power.

I will get some pictures up a little later this afternoon but have to go to the field for a bit.

John