RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJ Craft G2 Essence
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 AM
snowman44
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tony,
Incidence, Balance and Throws is really hard to nail down, It's a real juggling act, Over the years I have had a few opportunities to fly other guys airplanes. In their hands it appears the plane flies great, hand me the transmitter and I can't hold a straight line with it. How could this be? Maybe the the controls feel too soft or maybe too sensitive, some guys fly holding a bit of back pressure on the elevator, it can be any number of things. My point is this, most guys have an idea of how they personally think a plane should feel and react to control input, so its really hard to use other guys set ups for much more than a starting point. With that said, here is how I approached setting up my Essence.

Wing incidence is whatever the template is that BJ provides with the plane, Fortunately, I did not have to fool with any wing adjustment as my ailerons were perfectly neutral using this template.
On the elevator incidence, Once again my starting point was the template that BJ provided. In my particular case, using the template provided, along with my initial battery placement, the plane had a pretty good climb when I took off and so I had to apply down trim to achieve hands off level flight. From there its just a matter of moving the battery until your back at neutral on your trim.
On the control throws, I have no idea currently on my degrees of throw, I used the digital gauges to set some starting throws like 12 degrees on ailerons, elevator maybe a bit more and from their I adjust to what feels good, There are so many variables like wind, temperature, flight speed, expo, etc.. that can effect the way a plane feels from pilot to pilot, The biggest suggestion I could make on throws is once you have the plane dialed in to where you like it, take the time to go back in and with your digital meter make sure everything agrees.

On the mixes, it is the typical Throttle to Elevator down line mix and I do have a bit of Rudder to Elevator mix for knife edge. This mix is not really needed if you fly holding a bit of back pressure on elevator but I tend to personally favor a more forward CG.

Hope some of this info helps