RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Cessna 182 ARF
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 08:48 AM
MFIGHT43

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatt1
Here's a snapshot of how I used the Robarts strut in the nose pant. I drilled out the hole, and inside added a block on each side of the strut to support it with a layer of fiberglass. I then sanded the outer pant, and primed, then painted the pant.

The only thing about this strut, is that it can't stand an nose gear impact landing. It will bend. Otherwise it looks good.
Here's the solution to the bending of Robart struts:

"Fellas, I've built two of these planes and the easiest way to solve the weak firewall mount and forward and aft issues is this...

If you take note of the recess in the bottom of the firewall and the way the stock coil spring sits in there, you will notice that the spring coil will touch the firewall when minimal forward pressure is applied, that in turn supports the nose gear shaft and makes it actually quite forgiving on the rough landings. If you install the Robart gear just epoxy a block into that recess and notch a nice groove in it up and down, allow minimal clearance between the groove and the shaft of the nose gear and it will take a pile of abuse, believe me I know!! It works great!! I will post pics soon "

I am doing this on mine and believe me, it works!