RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kit sacrelige.. Bad Baby Birdie mutant
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually made progress since Sunday.. finished drawing wing and ribs in CAD, cut a set, built both panels, now sanding LE to shape, next to add TE/aileron stock. It is easy to find stock TE for stock fat ACE wings, but no 1/4x3/4 to be found which fits perfectly in the airfoil. However, a piece of sharply cut/sanded 1/4x1 with 1/4 trimmed off should serve.

iPad is broken, if I could find my phone I'd post a pic. Bear with me...

Fuselage (no cowl or nose ring yet) + stab and elevators + fin + all hatches and one HS85 glued into the fuse rear + both wing panels minus tips = 6.5 ounces. Liking it so far, I think the bare airframe will end up 8.0-8.5 ounces + finish + tank and engine. 23-34 ounces if within reach if I don't marinate it in epoxy paint.

Anyway, while building this version I have been drafting up a "stock" 1/2A version. Although, I will stick with the 12% airfoil, the wing is plenty beefy while light and the thickness is unnecessary. The LE has a reinforcing strip with square stock top and bottom to sand to shape - easy, since there is a single ply rib at the root and 1/32 ply tip caps which provide a sanding guide for the LE. Works so far.