View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by proptop
Hi Ernie...not quite...
Have a look here...
(One of these days maybe I will learn how to do that...what's it called...titled link?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachikawa_Aircraft_Company

) Looking for an aircraft

2) Could be considered "multi-purpose"

3) One engine...one wing...two seats

4) Same basic design...and was built by two different manufacturers...and had two alpha-numerical designations
(let me modify this statement...same alpha but different numerical)

5) This aircraft changed the way the parent company was viewed, by the powers that be, because it had previously been a rather small, might say obscure manuf.

6) Recip engine

7) Tandem seating

8) One version / designation was operated by 4 countries...
The other variant was operated by 7 because it was a bit more versatile

9) This clue is inspired by the post (elmshoot) above:
The inside of the cowl panels might be painted in young Bamboo / light Olive color, or a transparent blue / green

10) One version could have the pilot facing forward, and the rear crew member facing to the rear.
Another version could have the rear crew member also facing forward.

11) One might not have any armament at all...and another variant might have 2 machine guns and carry a few small bombs as well.

12) It was well liked for it's excellent handling characteristics...and was used for an advanced trainer,
as well as a "light" bomber, and general observation, utility duties, etc.

13) The secondary (non-parent) company that produced it is still in business today, and probably best known for it's motorcycles...at least in the U.S.

14) The engine manuf. is still in business, and in my mind anyway, best well known for electronics...but they also make heavy machinery.

15) Kawasaki was the secondary manuf. that built roughly 1/3 of overall airframe production.

16) The engine manuf. is one of the "others" ... not Mitsu.

17)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachikawa_Aircraft_Company
What? You want me to guess the Tachikawa Ki-55, built by both Tachikawa and Kawasaki? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Tachikawa Ki-55 was a Japanese advanced trainer.

The excellent characteristics of the Tachikawa Ki-36 made it potentially ideal as a trainer. This led to the development of the Ki-36 with a single machine gun. After successful testing of a prototype in September 1939, the type was put into production as the Army Type 99 Advanced Trainer.

In all 1,389 Ki-55 were constructed before production ended in December 1943 with Tachikawa having built 1078 and Kawasaki 311.

Both the Ki-55 and the Ki-36 were given the Allied nickname 'Ida.'