RCU Forums - View Single Post - Proposal - AMA discount for Active Duty E6 & below
Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I am proposing the following to my regional VP. When I floated the idea before (informally), he told me it would not be brought to a vote. I don't know about you, but I could care less if they vote it down, but it bugs me that they won't even vote and go on record. So I've decided to formally submit it again under the bylaws.

Anyone who would like to see them at least vote on it, I'd appreciate the help and would ask that you send the same email to your regional VP...

------ PROPOSAL ----------------------------------------------------------------
As a "bona fide" AMA member, pursuant to Article XI, Section 6 of the AMA bylaws, I submit the following formal request for Executive Council action on this proposal:

"With appropriate proof of service as detailed herein, provide active duty U.S. Military members, E6 and below, a membership discount equal to that provided to seniors. Proof of service shall be a "Statement of Service" or other similar document on DoD letterhead signed by the unit head, an individual with "by direction" signature authority (other than the applicant), a Staff Judge Advocate, or any commissioned officer O-4 and above." (see note)

Justification: Our organization is giving away free memberships to youths, aged 14-19. Yet those under 18 are unlikely to have jobs and thus the resources to put toward the hobby. On the other hand, active duty military members are numerous, young, disciplined (follow safety guidelines), and technically savvy. Furthermore, many are engaged in some way with aviation in their profession. While they have a job and income that exceeds those of the youth ages, oftentimes they're also supporting young families. The fact that many are on food stamps has been well documented, and this is especially true for the lower paygrade enlisted personnel. Under various programs other recreational activities (theme parks, sporting events, etc.) provide discounts to encourage participation. I would like to see AMA honor the service of these young Americans and encourage them to participate in our hobby and join our organization by extending a discount.

I respectfully request feedback on whether any member or the President agrees to put this on the agenda.

Sincerely,
(your name)
AMA#: (your AMA number)

Note: Should a member submit a copy of their DoD ID card in lieu of above, I would recommend AMA accept it as proof of service. However, I would strongly recommend that AMA not encourage such practice. Although it is not well known, the copying of a DoD ID card is a strict violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701.
If many of them are on food stamps as you indicated in your post above is an AMA discount really the best way to help these individuals? In the big scheme of things is a $10 discount really going to make a difference in their life? Would these folks not be better served by you campaigning and supporting for Bernie to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour?

Are those who iPhones excluded?