RCU Forums - View Single Post - Senate Version of FAA bill will destroy model aviation
Old 03-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually the AMA only became a 'separate' body in 1966....prior to that it was associated with the NAA.... but I will mention it's inception in 1936 when / if I meet with any officials

From the AMA History page

The idea for the AMA began in 1935 (perhaps even before that) at the National Championships in Detroit, Michigan. Leaders and contestants were interested in a self-governing body of aeromodeling experts, the thought being that there should be expert guidance of, for, and by model builders. Modelers wanted a single voice to develop national rules for aeromodeling contests, as well as one voice to speak to the government.

First known as the American Academy of Model Aeronautics (AAMA), the organization dropped 'American' from its official title within a few years. The AMA’s first mailing address,1732 RCA Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, solidified its legitimacy in 1936. Later that year, the headquarters of the AMA moved to Dupont Circle, Washington D.C. as part of the National Aeronautic Association (NAA).

AMA elected officials included an Executive Committee, Advisory Board, and Council, and a publication, Model Aviation. The first issue of Model Aviation, June 1936, included a list of these newly elected officials, a two-page description of the 1936 Nats, and seven pages listing the eighteen events, contestants, and results.

Both the NAA and AMA moved their offices to the Willard Hotel in Washington D.C. in 1940. While in the same building, it was the first time that the AMA had separate offices from the NAA, along with its own budget and officers. However, it was not until 1966 that the AMA became fully independent from the NAA.

Last edited by Hinckley Bill; 03-16-2016 at 03:54 PM.