RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 01:32 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Job !
The canopy is super easy ! If you want my opinion use the Fergelli linear servos. You can use one if your handy, it's a simple U attached to Y type home made push rod. The Fergelli linear servo will give you more then enought scale movement front to back. Some guys don't want to fool with a push rod so they use two Fergelli servos ( one on each side ).
I have always used one, they are about $70 bucks a piece but reliable, easy and very scale in movement. Simple plug and play.
I make my own canopy rails with a a dremil wheel on a drill press. All you need to do is buy stock square K&S brass rails, make an L shaped jig from wood to allow the rail to be pressed hard against the jig during the cuttting. You turn on drill press , set the proper height of the cuttting wheel so it hits the center of the brass rail and you simply make a slow controlled pass to get a good straight cut in one side the rail.
Sand and clean the cut , make two in the length you need.
When attaching the canopy to the rail you have options.
1) simple car ball links that slide in the rail and are screwed into the canopy
2)plastic H frame that slides into the rail and is glued into the inside of the canopy
If you Google P40 sliding canopy Fergelli servos you will see many of these options , some are of my planes.
I would suggest a simple animated pilot to go with your canopy .
Again super easy ! Take any full body pilot, remove the head, hands and feet . Rebuilt the body from foam and balsa . Add a servo at the torso and one in the chest. The servo at the torso is for left right movement and the servo at the head is up and down movement. I use cheap micro $10 servos.
Attach servos to aileron and elavator with y links and the pilot moves with the plane actions. One more step attached a control stick with a bendy wire, now attach your pilots hand to the control stick --guess what he now moves the control stick with his body movement

Last edited by LDM; 03-19-2016 at 01:36 AM.