RCU Forums - View Single Post - Zenoah g62 vs DL 50 which has more power
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
If the airplane is already built, it might be very difficult to reduce its overall weight by any significant amount. Likewise, most of the typical Lanier Lasers I've seen and flown required a heavier engine just to balance them. I certainly agree that putting the airplane on a diet and using a lighter engine is desirable, I'm just not sure it is possible in this case.

If the plane hasn't been built yet, then we're on the same page as the builder can pretty much build the plane as he wants it.

I still have one of those planes hanging in my garage and it balanced perfectly (a bit aft for some people) with a FPE 4.2 on the nose. Built by an old school builder, it flew very well and typical of some of the better planes from the time it was built.
I have taken two ARFs that I documented, stripped the covering and lighten them, one was a 35% H9 Extra 260 weighing in at 29 lbs. in stock configuration as most all do, my lightened configuration came in at 22 lbs.13 ozs. ready to fly. The other was a 40% SD Models Yak with a 131" wingspan weighing in at 54 lbs. as most did in stock configuration and some as much as 59 lbs. The one I lightened for a flying buddy came in at 36 lbs. ready to fly. There are threads on FG showing the entire lightening processes and supporting flight videos for both aircraft. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 03-30-2016 at 02:52 AM.