RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 08:02 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH
For hydra lock to be an issue for this engine one would need to turn it over using an electric starter when experiencing a flooded cylinder. Now if you pull the engine though before hand, making sure your engine is working properly you won't/ can't have hydra lock.
So clearly it is fuel related because there are no reports of #1 cylinder failing.
Repeated pre-detonation over time stressing the marginal cylinder strength? Just looking at possible issues here. Not trying to say that's the real cause.
I will use higher octane fuel just to be sure. Can't hurt.
I have seen and have experienced hydra lock in Saito gas engines during hand starting. On my FG36 I over choked the engine by drawing more fuel into the carburetor by doing 6 flips of the prop, instead of 4 during the first start of the day. From the time it took me to return the choke extension tool to my tool box and turning the ignition switch on, I had hydra lock. I knew it was hydra lock because the prop would not flip through the compression stroke, it bounced back in the opposite direction of prop rotation. I tried a total of 3 flips of the prop by hand, same result, the prop would not pass through the compression stroke. I began to remove the spark plug cap so I could remove the plug and clear the hydra lock. A fellow club member came over to where I was working and asked what I was doing, I said I was removing the spark plug to clear a hydra lock and explained to him what had happened. His response was, you don't have to remove the plug, all you have to do is hold the two prop blades and force the engine through the compression stroke two or more times to clear the fuel from the cylinder. I told him he didn't have a clue how to properly clear a hydra lock, and his method would more than likely cause damage to the engine.

I wonder if the FG60 owners that have experienced cylinder head failure have had hydra lock and didn't recognize it as hydra lock during hand starting when the prop would not pass through the compression stroke two or more times? Then not correctly clearing the hydra lock?