RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
You are suffering from a common false assumption, true they have to report to the president but he cannot dictate their actions. He's like a Bishop in certain Protestant church denominations, he has all of the authority but none of the power to exercise his will. The civil service system as prescribed by an act of Congress prevents the president or any other elect official or presidential appointee from firing or disciplining federal employees, They can make recommendations for action thru the OPM but that's it. That's why Obama had to go to Congress to get authority to fire VA management who covered up the excessive waits by Vets to see a doctor, he can't touch them like the FAA people. Congress in spite of their claim to support our Vets has failed to take action. Pretty much it takes a felony conviction to fire a Federal employee and even then sometimes they can keep their pensions. Don't like it? Blame that bunch controlling Congress they are the only ones with any power to change it and they haven't done it yet. Just like they won't reign in special interests and lobbyists, it might affect their employment options when they leave office. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to change anytime soon either.
Very simply this, he nominates candidates to the various secretary positions, who are confirmed or rejected by the Senate. Thus, he does have say in the process. He surrounds himself with advisers that he has confidence will advise him properly, of whom he also has input too. Yes, he does not have the right to fire per say his secretaries, but is involved with the selection process. To blindly say he has no or little control over the process is not correct.

Regarding firing a federal employee, it can be done because I have seen it done. The process is arduous, but not impossible.