RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Donny gave you sage advice, the same all the rest of us will. If you are new to RC flying, DON'T fly a warbird! You will quickly find it will get very expensive doing so. As for putting in one of the safe RX in a warbird, don't, those are designed only for trainers that can auto correct themselves when you release the sticks. A trainer has a high dihedral wing for a reason, it will put itself back to level (wings horizontal) flight, the SAFE will put the plane back to level forward flight, but since a warbird has little or no dihedral, the safe wont work as intended and it will fight the plane to try and correct it.

Hanger 9 sold a couple warbird "trainers" called PTS, or Progressive Trainer System. They had a T-34 and a P-51. What they did was modified the planes with more wing dihedral, and added droops on the wings to give added lift and reduce tip stall, along with more washout. They were OK, but not for a beginner either, more designed for those flying off a buddy box. I started with the T-34 and found it to be very unforgiving, so switched to an LT-40, and never looked back.

I am a good pilot and even I have trouble flying a warbird, they are nothing like the other planes like the SIG Somethin Extra, or SIG 4*120, or even a Cub or T-Clips. They are very unforgiving if you jerk them around or slow down too much. I crashed my Mustang attempting a go around after I was too far left of the runway when I throttled up and pulled back, did a high speed snap right into the ground. What happens slowly on other planes, happens much quicker on a warbird.

So take it or leave it when we tell you something, it comes from experience, not ego.