RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 04-15-2016, 10:41 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I learned the hard way, on my own. Back in the early 1970's, I had an Ace Pulse Commander Single Channel (rudder only) RC System mounted in a 27" wingspan Top Flite RC Schoolboy, and a non throttled Cox .020 Pee Wee. But I had a large empty field with little traffic and pedestrians nearby. I crashed many times. Hardest was learning that when aircraft was approaching, my left made it move right due to orientation. Plus, I learned how interactive giving rudder would affect altitude. Plane was trimmed to climb like a free flight aircraft. Give a small amount of rudder would decrease climb, but would also increase flying speed, causing aircraft to zoom and gain elevation. However, I learned that one could effectively control the aircraft, once experience was accumulated.

Yes, I agree, one needs to build up their experience with a trainer type aircraft. Then as experience is gained, one can advance to other aircraft. Still, I enjoy the challenges of rudder only or rudder with throttle only. Also returned to control line. Recently bought a 55" span Brodak Oriental profile CL kit, rediscovering the joy of CL flight.