RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Eaglewatch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of my old planes:

A 1/3rd scale Piper Cub (12 foot wingspan - my neighbor built it and called it a "J2 and a half"). It was built as a free-flight, uses wooden yardsticks as wing spars, and originally was powered with a .35 engine, later upgraded to a .59 engine... under-powered by today's standards. But, it was hand-launched, and could climb slowly. At 18 lbs, it was as much glider as powered plane. It is now over 50 years old, and not being used currently, but still flyable.

A seven-foot wingspan SE5A. Built by the same neighbor, but never covered completely. Design was scaled up from a rubber-band-powered stick and tissue kit (I think Gullows?) Again, plane is over 50 years old.

An 11-ft. Taylorcraft. One-piece (monster) wing. Built my another neighbor- friend, and artist who passed away last year. First R/C model I ever got to fly (at least the rudder). I was hooked for life after that. We used to land it on the county road (very few cars in those days). Partially rebuilt, not due to a crash, but due to hanger rash and a desire to increase scale authenticity and details. Has original Native-American artwork in a decal on the fuselage. This plane also 50+ years old.

Eaglewatch

Last edited by Eaglewatch; 04-16-2016 at 10:56 AM.