RCU Forums - View Single Post - Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:12 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
In terms of keeping the lights on, I also argue we need to pay close attention to how our money is being spent, and here's why:

As a tax exempt organization, the AMA is required to make public it's IRS 990's, and those disclose the compensation for key individuals. Per page 8, line 1, of the most recent 990 publically available (2013), the AMA's Executive Director made a total of $136,871. Per City-Data, the median income of everyone in Muncie is just $26,292, and the median income for the entire state of Indiana is just $47,529.

So, in 2013 dollars, that means we paid the ED 5.2 times the median income in Muncie, and 2.9 times the median state-wide income. That put the AMA's Executive Director in the top 1.5% of all wage earners in Muncie and in the top 3.9% of all wage earners in the entire state of Indiana.

Is that how our non-profit should be spending our money? How many of us are in the top 3.9% of all wage earners in our state? I venture a guess not many.

AMA's IRS 990 for 2013 - https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...ions/520799408
Local and state income info - http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...e-Indiana.html
Excellent points. And while I have NO PROBLEM paying someone very well, it is reasonable to expect a good return on our investment. Exactly what has the AMA done to protect the heart and soul of their membership from onerous government regulations? IF we (fixed and rotary wing) hobbyists who fly at AMA sanctioned clubs and events, had done something to put ourselves in jeopardy, then it would be difficult to expect AMA to successfully defend bad or dangerous behavior, but such is NOT THE CASE. Until multi-rotor drones and FPV UAVs came into vogue, the FAA left us alone and in many ways, PROMOTED the model aircraft hobby.
When the AMA invited the new crop of drones into the fold, the rest us became FAA targets as well. To my way of thinking, in comparison to other Indiana residents the AMA ED is paid exceedingly well for doing a poor job of protecting our interests.