RCU Forums - View Single Post - Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:16 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardGee
Absolutely correct. A fairly accurate parallel might be dirt bikes...When buying a pure racing class dirt bike, it gets one classification of off-road license that covers it ONLY when used in closed course competition. The AMA should be providing insurance and support pursuant to the USE of the RC craft in question. For example, those of us who fly exclusively at an AMA sanctioned club/field that adheres to the AMA Safety Code, we should be granted specific coverage that is completely separate from all other RC aircraft being operated OUTSIDE the guidelines I just outlined. Our aircraft should also be classified according to the manner in which they are operated (private vs. public). This is very simple and a distinction the AMA should have made right out of the gate, rather than allowing ALL OF US to be thrown under the FAA's giant web of bureaucracy. As I have already stated, now that we are on the FAA radar and have already complied with their initial registration mandates, our autonomy is GONE!!!
I'm always saddened to see this kind of "division advocacy". Why would AMA alienate those of us who DO NOT HAVE THE LUXURY OF A NEARBY AMA SANCTIONED CLUB/FIELD to fly at? I've been an AMA member since 1973. In all that time I've had an AMA sanctioned club/field within 40 miles of me in exactly one place - West Berlin Germany (not even within the USA) - and that was for 3 years, just 14% of my total flying life.

When I fly at my local town-owned park (for which I pay enough taxes to support) I observe every AMA Safety Code item - to include roping off my flying area from the rest of the park (I bought the rope & stancions myself) and posting my own signs. You would still penalize me (and thousands of others like me) simply for NOT driving a minimum of 80 miles round trip when I fly? Tell y'what - you pay for my gas, time & vehicle maintenance - I'll fly at your "sanctioned" field.

Last edited by skylark-flier; 04-21-2016 at 12:19 PM.