RCU Forums - View Single Post - Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I'm always saddened to see this kind of "division advocacy". Why would AMA alienate those of us who DO NOT HAVE THE LUXURY OF A NEARBY AMA SANCTIONED CLUB/FIELD to fly at? I've been an AMA member since 1973. In all that time I've had an AMA sanctioned club/field within 40 miles of me in exactly one place - West Berlin Germany (not even within the USA) - and that was for 3 years, just 14% of my total flying life.
Skylark, I'm not unlike you..my closest field is 13 miles one way, $100 a year on top of AMA, and it's rough grass - which limits the type and size of planes I can fly unless I want to be constantly re-bending landing gear etc. or do hand launches and belly landings only with smaller stuff - again further limits. Since it shares with a private full scale grass field, there's zero chance of ever putting in a paved surface.

On the other hand, I can just fly smaller electrics, helos of any size or power type, and fly at a little used public park (just a square of grass really) within 50 yards of my house. Since I own my own home, it's my insurance that pays first anyway.

I voted for convenience. The first two years I lived where I do now, I flew maybe 10 half days. Since I switched to electrics and helos, I fly much more often. That $100 club dues now goes into batteries, parts, and upgrades. At some point I suppose the $75 AMA dues will go that way too.

For me it's about tangible value for my dollar. AMA dues was required because I needed it to fly at an AMA field. If I'm not flying at AMA fields, what exactly do I get for my money and is that worth what I pay?