RCU Forums - View Single Post - Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:10 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Total BS. Radio controlled airplanes have been carrying cameras from the start. Your rules would only alienate modelers, many who fly quads as well as "traditional models". This is not a problem of AMA members flying quads, or even the uneducated mass buying quads. Its a problem with BLOS capable model aircraft which are sold and flown despite it being illegal to fly. But the problem isn't even that bad the FAA is soliciting sighting reports. Most are either made up or reports of legal flights. It's not the AMA's fault, its idiots, drone manufactures, and the FAA.
SP, you are the quintessential example of "whistling past the graveyard" - the ONLY thing you've gotten right is the problem with "idiots," but isn't that why virtually ALL laws get put in place? If everyone used common sense, courtesy, and logic, we wouldn't need an AMA or even an FAA, now would we...? Not sure how you can claim this has nothing to do with camera-carrying quads when in FACT, NONE of this came to fruition until those RC vehicles were being flown en masse, or landed on the White House lawn. Further, many quads ARE BLOS capable, having on-board GPS. Sure, a few RC aircraft and even model rockets had on-board cameras years ago, but they weren't hovering over your patio or parking outside your bedroom window with an HD video camera, now were they..? I WANT quad and FPV pilots SEPARATED from the types of traditional RC flying I have already described in detail. IF that alienates them (or you) TOO DAMN BAD. We who have been flying fixed and rotary wing RC aircraft for decades (and supporting the AMA) without indecent or even being noticed by the FAA, were never asked if we wanted our insurance, and reputations as responsible hobbyists, RISKED by being lumped together with flying things (and their owners) that have zero in common with us. The AMA's quest for memberships CREATED THIS PROBLEM. Period.

Last edited by RichardGee; 04-22-2016 at 08:10 AM.