RCU Forums - View Single Post - Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Its a problem with BLOS capable model aircraft which are sold and flown despite it being illegal to fly

Sport , I think I just heard the Angels sing !!!!

I have maintained from the beginning that it not the type of model aircraft , but the mission attached to it's flight , that should be the determining factor in what classification it's identified with . Flown LOS only , for the fun of seeing it fly only in the "traditional" model aircraft way , then it's a model aircraft . Fitted with a camera or other guidance to permit any sorts of BLOS , then it's a drone and not part of what I would consider a model airplane .

I used to think the AMA WAS going to be effective in maintaining the distinction between so called "#550 FPV" and drone operations , till I realized the EC DOES want us all lumped in together , mandated members by FAA decree , all the better to swell the ranks .

PS , just to be clear , so we don't go getting off on any hairy tangents (heaven forbid) , one LOS model airplane towing a LOS model airplane glider aloft is still just as much "model aircraft operations for the fun of seeing it fly only" as things like candy drops are for club field day events . Those type of missions being for fun and not for profit , and of course LOS only , make them perfectly acceptable model aircraft operations ...

Last edited by init4fun; 04-22-2016 at 07:56 AM.