RCU Forums - View Single Post - Idf cat d9t
Thread: Idf cat d9t
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Idf cat d9t

I've been wanting to have a go at an IDF Dozer for years, and stumbled upon the Bruder CAT Large Track Type Tractor. A quick check of the dimensions given in the Amazon description confirmed that its 1:16 scale (or close enough that you'd not notice).

Its unfortunately clipped rather than screwed together, so some brute force and a not a little harsh language is needed to bust it open...

The tracks look to be pretty good - plastic links, look like snap fit, but don't feel like they want to come apart without a fight. Time will tell how well they hold up in sand, etc. but I doubt I'll run it that much so I think it'll be ok.
The idlers at either end rotate but the inner 'wheels' are molded dummies - perhaps if I had a lathe I could turn down some new rollers, but for now they will have to do "as is".

What I thought would be the hard part - mating the drive sprockets onto a HL style gearbox - actually was the easiest! The sprockets were a light push fit over a scrap set of Mato Sherman inner halves that I had laying around.

Gearbox mounting required a good deal of work with a razor saw, but the high drive position really helps with locating the gearboxes away from the confines of the lower hull, and will leave me space for bolting the track units together (you have to smash the clips to get them apart).

I tried a few different gearboxes, the low profile Mato ones would be the best fit in terms of height, but are too wide to fit:

HL Stug ones are a better fit, but the gearing is going to be way too fast for what this model needs:

I settled on a Taigen 4:1 set, with the 360 cans from the low profile Mato set. Unfortunately these will require me to carve a sizeable hole in the cabin floor to accommodate their extra height, but I suspect that once the armoured cab is done, you probably won't see them...

Wired up with a Scorpion HX ESC:

Size comparison with an M3 Lee. Its quite an imposing model even without the top on

Moving under its own power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEy7sZigxPY

Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker; 04-28-2016 at 02:55 PM.