RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Ratureboy,
Well for one thing...I know the engine was being starved for fuel...some how...some where. So I decided to change out one item at a time and see what happens. So the first thing I pulled was the fuel tank. I've never had an issue with Roto fuel tanks...never with over a dozen models with them. Usually if you have a fuel tank issue...installing a Roto fuel tank will eliminate the problem. The reason I pulled the fuel tank was that it came out of another model and wondered if by some reason, it created the fuel starvation issue. Then I removed the three way filter. I usually use a three way interconnect, to connect my fill line to my fuel tank, the fill line and engine feed line. I have never had an issue with the three way filter before...but I wanted to change it out anyway for now. After I replaced the fuel tank and three way interconnect filter, I ty-rapped my fuel lines and made the airframe flight ready. Now it was time to fire up the engine, so I installed the wing and fueled up the model again.

This time the model fired right up and would hold an idle and an engine speed to nearly half power. Anything over half power...the engine would quite. This told me I may need to open my high speed needle valve and I did...1/16 of a turn-she was a bit lean. I then fired up the engine again and it ran better and I was able to get about 3/4 throttle before it quite running. So I opened up my high speed needle valve to 1-3/4 turns...from the 1-1/2 turns I started with. At this placement the engine fired up...and I was able to go to full throttle and it held a steady run. I then started the engine again and with a long screwdriver and at full throttle, opened and closed the high speed needle valve until I manage to get a good high speed and get a nice solid idle.

The flippen engine runs great and on Thursday...I 'll fly her...weather permitting. Wow...what a trip, but I'm all smiles now. By the way...I've run dual fuel filters for years on my gas engines with no issues in the past, but to be honest...I'm not sure what exactly was the cause of the engine not running well in the first place. But I did just about everything I could to get it to run, because having to wait so long to get it back from the dealer was unacceptable.

Thank you guys for all your help and I'll let you know how the first flight works out for me.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 05-03-2016 at 10:36 PM.