RCU Forums - View Single Post - What to do with engine... New 1/4 scale piper cub
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan33klein
Thanks for the detailed post and all the information. Seeing that engine mounted and ready to
go, I couldn't hold back. I had a gallon of 10% nitro and 16% oil fuel laying around so I filled it up and it started first prop flip with an osF plug. I ran about 3/4 of the gallon through it on the ground per the super Tigre manual. it idles great, transitions great, and runs good at full throttle. Swings a 18-6 wood prop at 7800rpm. Seems pretty good for not being broke in yet. I have the radio system done and it's ready to get in the air. I wanted to maiden it today but it was too windy. Picking up a gallon of 5% nitro 16% oil next week. That will be two full gallons of break it fuel. Then I'm mixing my own. A gallon of off the shelf 15% fuel, add 3 gallons of methanol, add 1 quart of klotz oil. Should leave me with a good blend of fuel. Around 3% nitro and 11% oil. Cost should be around 8.50$ a gallon with free methanol. Will the fuel being this cheap I will run the big cat unless it gives me trouble.
Thanks for everything guys, will report back with results.
Just an idea. Convert the big cat to electronic ignition, even using glow fuel, and your "miles" per gallon will increase. Enjoy!! Glad your are happy with the ST. I love my Como S90. I would like a big one, will have to check ebay.