RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJ Craft G2 Essence
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
Got my landing gear in.
Used a slightly different method. Will explain later when not on a phone.

Also, what material are you guys using between the wing and fuse to avoid rubbing?

Just about done with mine. Need to install wheel pants, wheels, tailwheel, then balance and glue in battery tray where it is needed.
The finalize radio setup.

Would love to maiden this weekend. Have a contest next weekend at the FARM club.

Tony
Sounds good Tony.

I do not use anything in between the wing, stabs and fuse to avoid abrasion as there is no vibration.
The stab should not be dragging on the fuse anyway so nothing needed there.

Keep in mind that the Falcon gear legs (and pants if used) are considerably lighter than the BJ legs.
This will affect the c/g considerably so consider planning ahead for the c/g location.

I think you said earlier that you had an aftermarket battery tray.....so do I.
This tray IMO is too short and does not allow much battery movement.
This means that the tray location will have to be more accurate to allow for this lack of movement ability.
Uhhh....but where IS the c/g?
It depends on your flying style....but I can tell you for sure that it will be grossly tail heavy if you put that tray in the mfgr location.

Because it is much too tail heavy to begin (with the tray in the mfgr position and BJ gear legs) you should plan on installing the tray forward.
The front edge of my tray (same mfgr as yours) is 2" fwd of the l/g plate leading edge......and it should be further forward than that.
I suggest that the tray should be abt 3" fwd of the l/g plate...this is because of the much lighter Falcon gear and the mfgrs position too far aft to begin with.

I find it difficult to check the c/g on these airplanes because the wings are lightly built so it is risky to put some device under the wings and have the gross weight on 2 small points that might punch through the wing surface.
On solid wings or composite wings I use a board with 2 pencils pressed into holes....then the erasers become the balance points.

On the BJ airplanes I use a 1/8" music wire through both wing capture bolts, then slid the wings on and lift up on the wire in the center of the fuse.
This method is not accurate for sure but measuring this way will get you in the ball park so you can fly it and move the battery to trim properly.
The nose should fall when lifting on the wire (ready to fly with the canopy removed for access)....indicating that the c/g is somewhat fwd from the hole.

It is better to be nose heavy with the battery all the way aft...you can always add 1/4 oz at a time on the tail if needed.
The c/g adjustment becomes much more sensitive as the teeter point is approached....and the tail moment arm is much longer than the nose arm so small amounts of battery movement or weight on the tail will make large(r) changes.
The battery tray IMO needs to be at least 1" longer for greater c/g adjustability.

I do not know where my c/g is....only that I kept moving the battery until it flew correctly with no mixes.
I should also add that the above comments are considering use of the Falcon carbon spinner and Falcon carbon props.
If you use APC props.....all bets are off as they are great props but weigh a ton...no...6 tons for our use!
Great airplane!!

Dave

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 05-12-2016 at 08:17 AM.