RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJ Craft G2 Essence
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
Thanks for the suggestions Dave.
But im not sure i follow you.

With the motor batteries in the position shown, the plane appears to balance correctly. I will check the balance again via wing position when i get home from work, but even if it needs nose weight, i can simply move the batteries forward 6, 8, 10 inches. So why move the esc for balance?

I still have to install cooling baffles for the esc and cut all the air acess holes. Those should cover me from a cooling perspective.

I did realize that i do still have to install the tail wheel, which should change things slightly since the tail moment is so long.

Also still have to install the receiver and receiver battery, but those will mount pretty much on the CG.

So biggest queston, is 230mm the correct CG? I need to start somewhere.

Tony
That's right....you have to start somewhere...that's what I meant by.."where IS the c/g"?

I'll re-word several things....

The airplane is tail heavy to begin with at the mfgrs suggested c/g....because his flying style is totally different.
We don't fly around with the tails hanging down and we only use a mixer as a last resort.
By 'we'...I mean US pilots.

Next....you removed the heavy BJ gear legs and installed Falcon gear which is much lighter.
This made it even more tail heavy.

Just to cut to the chase....you just have to move everything as far fwd as you can to get within battery movement range using that short tray.
Obviously....this is much easier to do before you install the tray....hence the reason for my pix and comments.
As I said previously...my tray should be at least 1 or 2" fwd of the pix....my battery hangs off the front of the tray about 1/2" to allow the plane to fly with no mixers.

Cooling the ESC....if it is laying flat I doubt if there will be enough air flowing over it even when you cut some holes.
I think you should move it fwd and mount it vertically.
The ESC in my pix is the OS 1100 or Futaba MCxxx.....works great...no computer/drama.
My receiver battery is mounted at the rear of the tray...the red Velcro holds it down.

Dave