RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications
Old 05-15-2016, 08:24 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Gentlemen,
Well the weather gods...may she rest In peace...brought near calm winds and a perfect day to fly. It was crystal clear and winds right down the run way at about 5kts...perfect. That engine fired right up and purred. I took the runway and I brought the power up until the tail rose...and as I added power...a bit of rudder and faster then I can write this...she was in the air. Solid as a rock and with a little aileron trim...straight and true. Flew like an angel she did and made me proud. It was a gorgeous day and I managed to get three 15 minute flights. Wow...what fun and like my first two T.F. P-51's...made me proud. The landings were near perfection and all wheel landings too. I trim her out on approach and let her fly to the runway. With full flaps (45 deg.) the model fly's tail high...and with just a tad of elevator...the flippen model lands itself. Impressive. My last one lasted six years...and the way this one fly's...I'm going to do my best to ware out the engine. The C.G. (5-2/3") is perfect and at 2/3rds power...she grooves like on rails. This is one sweet flying airframe...and why I guess, the model is still available.

I built my first T.F. P51 in 1976...a "B" model of a Red Box kit. One had to do a bit of carving...like on Royal kits...but the end result was a great flying war bird. I used a Kraft KP7 Tx and Rx...with KPS 12 servo's. Worked perfect and a K&B .61 was a great match for this model. Fixed geared...for I wasn't able to find the new set Goldberg retracts, that just came out. So I made some nice gear doors for the model and painted it a fire engine red. I was stomping out forest fires and building heliports for the Dept. of Forestry that summer. I was out of South East Asia and looking for anything to do with aviation. Being a Rotor Head myself...this worked out great. On my off times I built my models...and borrowed the paint from Uncle Sam...bless his heart...for the use of some, Just a bit...and for some reason-they had enough red paint to paint every fire truck this side of the Continental Divide. So then rather let it go bad...put it to good use. I was 27 and having a ball with life. Shortly after this I went to collage, got my degree and never looked back. But that model was a superb flying model...just like this one. Top Flight got it right too...and just made a good flying model, better over the years.

I've yet to do any stall tests...but I'm working up to it. Right now...full power low level fly-bys...keep my smile going. And with that gas engine note...perfect.

I've been blessed with a war warn T.F. ARF from a buddy in our club-six + years old...but still has some life in her. I pulled out my T.F. "B" conversion kit...and I'm going to build another "B." I did it once before...and all you need to is remove the canopy, and every thing south of the instrument panel...down to the main horizontal brace. I remove everything and the model is opened up for easy access. You have a clear way to install the Robart retract tail wheel then...and simple to do...and...and it looks great too. Then add the kit parts for the turtle back, sand a bit and add the canopy. Presto...you have a "B." A bit of patch work and recover...and you have a new model to fly. This one will have full retracts to include a tail wheel retract unit. At the same time I beef up the main landing gear area in my wing too...its needed (at least for my kind of landings). My last one used a Robart tail wheel assembly for six years...and never failed me once. I have a new set of Lado retracts and are perfect for the main gear. I have had good luck with them and very easy to deal with-you just plug time into your Rx with a "Y" cord.

Soft Landings Always,

Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 05-15-2016 at 08:46 PM.