RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I think it would be valuable to know how many of those are zero revenue youth memberships? Pretty easy to run up big numbers in that category that pad the top line number, but don't accurately reflect the revenue generating health of the organization.
Must every comment be an allegation of wrongdoing or nefarious activity, ie "padding". Zero revenue youth memberships don't concern me a bit, about the best way I can think of to encourage family and/or youth involvement. While it might not be an income producing membership, it's also doubtful that is costs the AMA anything either....maybe the cost of the membership card, postage, and perhaps a pin. So, $4.00 maybe. Not seeing a problem here whatsoever. I'd actually rather see the AMA increase incentives to youth joining, scholarships to local club (for dues), maybe even partnerships with retailers for discounts on new planes/gear. Much better than the suddenly popular idea of just handing out money to clubs (many of which can certainly survive without it). Hmmm...pay for a new awning or grille, or get 2-3 kids involved in the hobby.

I know you don't belong to a club any longer, so you might be removed from the issue, but I encourage you to head out and visit some clubs on any given day, especially the weekend. Not exactly teaming with youth....more like the standard AMA profile of 50 plus. And add the "friendliness" factor of so many clubs regarding helis, "foamies", the unsightly ARF's, and of course, we can't forget multirotors....and you see the struggle.

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I think the wording of the last question (bold black) asked why so many people have registered but not joined AMA...

Good point, agree upon re-review. Don't see the correlation though, nobody ever said that everyone registering with the FAA was going to then register with the AMA. Wouldn't be surprised if some did, I know of a few that did so, but also might have offset those choosing not to renew with the AMA as well.

The membership numbers are healthy, not up or down precipitously in either direction, and certainly not indicative of any widespread issues (purported but not yet realized)