RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
My point is that they throw around the top level number as an indication of the health, but you have to admit that youth memberships are a good chunk of that total number. But what pays the bills, and I argue is the measure of true health, are the revenue generating memberships. And that number is somewhat obfuscated by the way they publicize the data.

As for the club...interesting you should mention that. I went out to the club field twice this past time I was home (I work two weeks on/two weeks off). It's just a tad under 13 miles one way. Went on a Saturday around 1pm one week, and a Sunday around 2pm the next week (should easily satisfy your stated "any given day" criteria). It was beautiful both days. Dry, light wind, and sunny (which has been rare in PA of late). How many people flying each time? Precisely zero.

I don't know how or even if the AMA will be able to capture the youth/MR crowd. They seem to be a group that eschews constraints, and I don't see the AMA being a good match. You're right about the demographic in my rather unscientific sampling of clubs I've been a member and in clubs I've visited. Youth memberships are perhaps the only way to draw kids in, but if they never turn into paying memberships, what's the point.
You didn't mention what the total number of members in your club is, but all clubs may see more activity on certain days than others. One club I belong to all the active members flew on Wed. during the day so I never saw them on weekends.

Lately I've been flying on weekdays after work more than weekends.