RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The whole red thing within a quote is a pain by the way...

As to being accountable for decisions, rest assured I have no fear of that, most of my life was spent being accountable for life and death decisions with respect to mission planning, execution, law enforcement actions I authorized, etc. The issue is time and money.

How much input into those decisions came from a public Internet forum?

How do I spend so much time posting? I really don't have to justify that to you.

I was just re-applying the analogy you recommended a few posts ago. Surely, we all strive for efficiency in life and want to maximize our ROI and minimize our losses. Since you repeatedly (and rightfully so) express deep concern for minimizing losses I was just curious what your threshold was.

However, since you asked, when I'm away at work - it's a remote worksite. 12 hour day, an hour to hit the gym, and then either TV, read, or iPad something in the evening. Not much outside activities (and certainly no flying) for a number of reasons I won't belabor here. So it's evenings when away where I do my research. When home, it's usually in the mornings over coffee after I've run the kids to school, in between other stuff, if the weather is bad, or just because I feel like it. Again, happy to help if it fits with the very real limits of my work schedule and family commitments. And those home times come in 11 day chunks a month apart - especially when during those same 11 days I have to do all the other stuff that most people do during their off time, including Drs, car repairs, etc. If I do get free time, honestly, I grab one of my helos and go to the park and fly (photo attached for proof).

I understand, but those are all life choices we make.

As to putting good money after bad, that's a fair question. I stopped putting money into the club - three years of dues ($300) w/o going there to fly once was a waste. I wish I'd put that money into batteries or a nicer charger for the stuff I can fly within walking distance. On the AMA, I'm on the fence on that until I see how this CBO, flying rules, FAA, mandatory/non-mandatory membership sorts out (I'm being very general here - please don't nit pick my words). Rough timeline? At least through the end of the year (paid through December anyway).

We've all spent money on things we've never used. It's only hindsight that we realize it was a waste. We can't blame anyone but ourselves for that.

(oh, and in case you're wondering what I'm doing right now? I'm typing this as I wait for a macro to finish on a 120mb workbook - 700,000 lines - so I can analyze some client financial / operational data).