RCU Forums - View Single Post - 4*120 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 08:19 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There is a discussion on the FB Balsa Builders page RE: the 4*120 and clipping the wings. Irks me when others ASSume you dont know how to land a plane. The 4*120 is a floater, and if you have a short runway, especially one that is boxed in by corn like mine, landing one is a real challenge, no matter how good you are. Clipping the wings one bay doesn't 100% resolve the problem, but helps quite a bit, while also enhancing axial performance. Had a few others agree with me on this one too. Even with flaperons active, it is a challenge to get it down from at least 15' altitude, drop to the ground in 20' and then slow enough to land it while having room to stop without going into the crop at the other end. It's one of the reasons I haven't flown it much, it has to land at some point, and unless I am at a place with enough runway, I don't fly it.

I flew it at the SIG flyin last year and had a dead stick(Dummy me forgot to top off the tank after tuning it!), and it was far up and out and I did not think I would make it back, but It did, barely, it came in between some trees and just brushed the tall grass at the side of the runway, and touched down on the strip.