RCU Forums - View Single Post - Band Saw
Thread: Band Saw
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by STUKA BARRY
If you got 45 years out of your Craftsman bandsaw, then the answer is a no brainer, get your butt down to Sears and forget about that $20 Harbor Freight saw.
Originally Posted by carlgrover
I've got a Grizzly 14" G0555 bandsaw and really like it. I also do woodworking so it also sees duty there. You might want to rethink that old Craftsman though. Older machines were made better than new ones. There may be a lot of aftermarket parts you could put in it to get it in like new condition.

If not, I would stay far away from a small bench top saw. RUN from a 3 wheeler too.

carl
A good question to Jim would be , how bad off is your old saw ? Are the wheels that carry the blade too worn where the blade rides or otherwise damaged ? If not , and if by tired you mean maybe the bearings for those wheels are going bad or perhaps the bearings or centrifugal starting switch or the start/run capacitors in the motor are on their way out , I think I'd consider doing a bit of a rebuild and keeping it . If you've decided your going to buy a new one cause you want a new one , great ! But if you are buying a new one cause you have to , cause your saw is tired , a handful of bearings , a new blade , and a good cleaning are all that's usually needed to get them working well again . That and of course perhaps the switch or caps I mentioned . Best of Luck with whatever you decide to do .

Last edited by init4fun; 05-24-2016 at 05:08 AM.