RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

david68:

Great that you should bring that up now

The honorable Jeff Quissenberry acquired a CBA with G-62's couple of years ago and flew it coupla times

I bought mine TWELVE years ago and have only flown it about a dozen times, mostly because it scares me: lands like a manhole cover, stalls flat at about 40 kts

Under Jeff's tutelage and with intent to fly them together this summer, I am moving the CG forward to 5.5" and I fabricated Fowler flaps for it.

Mine has counter-rotating DA-50's (DA will do that for you at the factory) and I fly with 2-blade Zingers: the plane is old and beat up and I'm not that big a scale freak.

They rotate opposite the way you would expect, designed that way by the designer of the CBA kit, whom I believe built mine

I have owned and flown about 9 P-38's (the very definition of Twinsanity), and while I am not nearly the pilot that Jeff (or many others) are, I have several hundred flights on several different brands and sizes and I must say simple is giving you SOUND advice: counter-rotation is a historical curiosity, but basically meaningless on a model

P-38 is tricycle gear. You don't need help keeping it straight on takeoff. In general, P-38's are heavy and fast, but very stable and sweet flyers and landers AS LONG AS BOTH FANS ARE BLOWING! So point your engines straight ahead and focus all your efforts on the fuel systems and engines to make sure they always run. Period.

I have experimented with gyro's on my aerobats and I have rudder gyro's on my Bf-110's because they're taildraggers and uncontrollably squirrely on takeoff, but I have never tried them on P-38's, mostly because I'm too chicken to experiment with gyro-gain settings, or intentionally induce engine-out in a P-38. My success with engine-out P-38 flight is about 50%, depending on what you call success, and key components to salvation are LUCK and really aggressive throttle and rudder management
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P38   -200.JPG
Views:	711
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	2164174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2780.JPG
Views:	843
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2164175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2805.JPG
Views:	767
Size:	1.81 MB