RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCPRO Club 40 Rules Committee votes not to allow Evolution .46 in Silver Class
Old 05-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Ken Erickson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were unhappily surprised as well.

In our 2016 rules, published in November, we had added the EVO 46 to the Silver class, based on the AMA/NMPRA recommendation. I was not concerned about the RPM numbers our guys were getting with their break-in props. For me, the only thing that matters is what happens in the racing.

At our race on the 14th, I witnessed the plane with the EVO engine run away from the others in the straights. The engine was needled rich enough to avoid the starving in the turns, which was experienced by the Texas circuit. The plane was still faster.

We have 4 very competent race pilots . They were all there that day. The other three were trying their darndest.

When Club 40 was started in San Antonio, 10 years ago, we chose to use .40 engines in support of AMA/NMPRA. One of our goals was to graduate some of our guys to 424. I believe that is still true.

We really want to find a way to use that engine, but the guys who vote on the rules expressed the need to stay compatible in the short time and at the Nats. Some of the ideas, besides a standard prop, were a "restrictor plate" (carb) and exhaust restriction (muffler).

Our guys are not done testing, but they see a problem right in front of them and are aiming for homogeneity at the Nats.

In the meantime, they are helping new racers.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Erickson; 05-25-2016 at 10:08 AM.