RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wren 54 mkIII
Thread: Wren 54 mkIII
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, got some good ideas here. I like the idea of making a "tag" and putting it around the glo plug and mount. And I like the idea of sending it to Wren and having them place a bolt in the casing (not ready to take that on just yet).

The airframe. Well, its a ShockJet (bought it third hand as a package deal). Looks like a big high wind Kaos. Okay, now you can pick yourselves off the floor from laughing. About half the turbine guys around me laugh, the other half just say well, its got the turbine smell, that's good enough for me. I admit I laugh at myself too every time I work on it.

I have a friend that is working to get his turbine waiver too. We will be the 13th and 14th pilot in the area to have their turbine waivers. I was trying to wait him out, let him be the 13th guy but he's taking too long. I was also trying to get him to swap frames with me (he has a BTE Reaction 54). His airframe will be better with my turbine and mine for his (he has a bigger, older turbine that someone gave him, he sent it in and had it modified, it runs good).

I also bought a bigger fuel tank for this plane (92 oz), but the turbine just sips fuel on the test stand. Doubt I would want to fly it that long to empty out a 92oz tank. So will start with the 54oz tank that it came with.

I do plan to fly the snot out of this plane. Am thinking about getting another frame for the turbine. But so far this airframe has served my purpose (It was in bad shape, had to go thru it. Made some changes to it as well, did things my way. Also incorporated some mods that TBM suggested). So I did learn a lot about it and the turbine workings, and bench starting was a blessing too. It takes about 5 seconds to go from idle to full throttle. My friend has a couple of AMT Netherlands air start turbines and he swears by them. They have been flawless, and thus he has never thought about upgrading (don't fix it if it aint broke). Even he was impressed with this little Wren turbine, how easy it was to start and how well it ran.