RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club FOX!
Thread: Club FOX!
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Aaron L.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Submission for Club Fox Membership...

Hello gentlemen,

Late to the Club Fox party, but would like to 'join up' nonetheless. I love old American designs......and the smell of Castor oil. In the early 1980's (when I was 11-13 or so) I belonged to a local flying club with my Dad. Most guys ran K&B, Enya, or OS two strokes. Dad had an OS .25FSR/ABC on an Eaglet-50. A couple die-hards (called 'kooks' by a few of the other flyers) flew Fox engines. Those guys knew their engines (and were the guys that everyone else went to for advice). Left an impression on me. The club lost our field and dissolved right around the time I was getting proficient at flying. I moved on to RC cars...........and then motorcycles/trucks/girls/etc. Time passed....

Years later I picked up an NOS 1981 Eagle-1 at a swap meet. Had always ran Cox, K&B, and OS engines before that. Liked the idea of having an old American engine (and had always wanted a Fox Eagle variant since seeing them as a kid). Broke it in on the bench and was impressed with its running qualities. Bought a GP PT60 kit to build for it..................and then got distracted by other things (hunting/truck/girlfriend/work/etc) again.

More time passed. Made a brief (but enthusiastic) run back into RC car racing around 2007-2010 or so. Trying to regain some of my childhood as I approached 40 maybe? Even made the leap into 5th scale with an HPI Baja 5B. My local tracks folded, and those that remain are too far away for frequent trips. Got tired of the juvenile antics of many of the guys on the car boards I had been frequenting. Haven't done much with the cars (or the car boards) since. Fondly remembered the gentlemen that had been in the flying club. Been active with other hobbies (I collect and run old chainsaws............yeah I'm a bit eccentric).

Picked up a few more Fox engines on eBay over the next few years as impulse buys. MUCH more time passed. Now I'm in my 40's, with a family. A couple local flying clubs are active (with fields), and I'm looking to get back into flying. Been practicing with RealFlight 7.5, trying to knock off close to thirty years or so of cobwebs from the brain and thumbs. Can run a car pretty well still, but I'm still rusty with a plane. Picked up some more Fox engines (just can't stop). Been lurking here for a while, and read through this ENTIRE thread over the last month or two. Have a couple kits to build, and am eying others (as well as a few different ARF options).

My Fox engines so far. Have yet to fly any of them. I've always been a gearhead/motorhead.

1)Used Eagle-1 with original muffler. 2-Jet carb. eBay purchase. Was castor stuck and dirty. Cleaned it up and oiled. Looks like it may have only been ran a bit on the bench.

2)NOS (well until I ran it) 1981 Eagle-1 with original muffler. I like to think of it as an "Eagle-1.5" because of the differences between it and an original Eagle-1. Mk-X carb. Bushed rod. Upright (rather than tilted) offset plug head. Outer muffler mounting ears (two center bosses not drilled). No exhaust baffle. Bead blasted finish. Etc. Swap meet purchase 20+ years ago.

3).29 RC with muffler. Lapped iron piston. Like new. Possibly NOS. No box, but with instructions. Bright finish and no outer muffler lugs. Exhaust baffle. Stuck with castor oil at the moment. Just got it for a song on eBay.

4).29RC with muffler. Lapped iron piston. Low time. Bright finish and no outer lugs. Exhaust baffle. Bargain eBay purchase years ago.

5).29RC. Lapped iron piston. Low time, but missing muffler, drive washer, prop washer, and nut (anybody that has a .29/.36 drive washer and prop washer to sell/trade please PM me). Bright finish and no outer lugs. Exhaust baffle. Bought within a few days of #4.

Dang lapped iron .29 RC's just keep coming my way (cheap). Can't pass 'em up. Neat little engines. Weigh less than a modern .25. Thinking about putting two in a Eureka Aircraft 50 Caliber Twin, Hobbico Twinstar, or Pica Duelist at some point. I have a GP GT20 kit to build for the third engine.

6)NIB Eagle-4 .60 ABC with muffler. Mk-X AND EZ carbs in the box. eBay purchase a number of years ago.

7)NIB C-Case .40RCBB-Deluxe. ABC/Spinner. MK-X carb. eBay purchase around the same time as the Eagle-4.

8)NIB B-Case .40RCBB "wart" engine. Ring. Bright finish. 2-Jet carb. Unfortunately missing the 26063 low speed needle and spring (anybody that has one to sell, please PM me). This was the eBay impulse bid purchase that got me going on Foxes again. Managed to scare up an original muffler (narrow screw spacing) from a great guy on RCG recently.

9)NIB .45RCBB with spinner and muffler. Mk-X carb. eBay deal that I couldn't pass up.

10)NIB .45RCBB. No muffler. EZ carb. Bought in an unusual 'two engines' eBay auction with #9 above. Basically a two-for-one deal.

11)Used .46RC with muffler. ABC. EZ carb. Seems to be in good shape. Haven't really gone through it yet. eBay impulse bid again...

12)Used Eagle-4 .74 Ring with muffler. Listed on eBay as a .60 (with no pic of the piston and liner through the ex port). When I examined it upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised by the four exhaust ports (rather than the three of a ringed Eagle-4 .60).

13)Got a nice 'middle production' .78 on the way. No exhaust baffle, but with a 2-Jet carb and no outer muffler screw lugs (like what'd be found on a 1981 variant).

Also picked up a sweet little NOS Enya .15-III TV with muffler. Neat little lapped piston jobby.

Would like to pick up a good .60 Hawk and Schnuerle ported .25RCBB at some point. Dangit, I saw many NOS and good used Hawks go for CHEAP $ on eBay years ago. Have bid on a few lately, but they've gone for more than momma lets me spend (or I forgot about the auction and somebody else got a great deal). Same with the Schnuerle ported .25RCBB's...

Ha! just remembered another Fox engine that I have stashed away; Bright finish .35 Stunt that I picked up a flea market sometime around 1988 or so. Have only bench ran it (not long after I bought it). Got it with an NOS Top Flight P-40 Warhawk CL kit for something like $10-$15. May convert that kit to RC (using one of the .29 RC's or a .36RC). I used to fly CL when I was a pre-teen/teen, but don't think I can do that anymore. Would probably make me dizzy/sick and/or trigger a migraine these days.....

Last edited by Aaron L.; 05-28-2016 at 01:56 AM.