RCU Forums - View Single Post - Economic comparison
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Well, it's more like $175 - every year. That adds up. Despite a healthy income, this is just one of my hobbies. And again, it's my money to spend or not spend. I'm finding that I can do just about everything I want to do in the hobby w/o spending that money. For me I'd rather put that money into something else.

Again, personal choice. For me, $175 is insignificant.

I don't expect the AMA to provide me a flying site; in fact, I'm demonstrating that I've found a way to enjoy the hobby without one. Others may do the same, others may not.

Glad that's working for you. My preference is for a dedicated private flying field to conduct my model aviation flying activities and I'm happy to pay for it. In one local club it takes over a year to become a member and requires quite few visits to the field as well as meeting attendance and participation in club events. It's not just about the field, but the membership as well. The long road to membership is intentional to weed out those individuals who do not contribute to the success of the club.

Yes, some folks do indeed drive a long distance to enjoy the hobby. I'm just not one of them. I could, but I've found ways to enjoy it just as much and lower the logistical "overhead."

Glad it's working out for you. Does this mean you will definitely not be renewing you AMA membership next year or taking them up on their offer for refund?

On the two decades and no evidence of economic theory. Ok, but neither can we ignore the comment in last month's MA where Dave Scott said "Starting approximately 15 years ago, many model airplane clubs began seeing a decline in membership..." I don't know how much of that is attributable to economic theory, but can the organization really just assume that's not some part of it?

We certainly cannot ignore it. I suspect many clubs are experiencing declining participation/membership. I'm not convinced it's all economic. I feel a lot of it is due to an aging population and poor marketing on the clubs' part.
If $175 is insignificant, and since you seem committed to growing the AMA, then are you saying you'll pay mine?

As you consider what you call "the long road to membership" consider the economic theory of rational choice...make it too hard and people will choose something else.

My membership renewal. You seem very concerned about that. Why?

I'm not convinced it's purely economic (dollars), but when individuals are faced with competing choices, and when one gets difficult, expensive, or both, there's a finite chance they're choose another hobby - or if other options are available - like me choose to drop club membership and fly local. Demographics are changing too, and I think that's a component as well. Only time will tell how that changes over time.