RCU Forums - View Single Post - Back yard fun!
Thread: Back yard fun!
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I've always run my models in my yard but I more focused on my 1/10 scale. I've run 1/16 as well but my yard has always had ample stone just large enough to cause mischief with the tracks/ sprocs. For years I've literally sifted my dirt to strain out gravel. In the past year I had two major setbacks to that process, having new cement walkways made, the contractor, before I could tell him not to, spread the dirt removed for the pathways out into my 'tank yard'. Secondly I had a new roof put on; the old one being, wait for it, 'tar and gravel' and while the guys did a pretty good job containing the removal of the gravel ( I instructed them not to mess up my yard) there still is more than before the roof work. I'd already began the sifting last year and where it counts
I've removed a large percentage of the gravel. Now after the rain we had the next and finer size is revealed to be removed.

Sifting isn't that difficult actually. I have a sheet of heat diamond pattern steel screen which I lay on the dirt. I rake the dirt on it and lift up one end of sceen.
the gravel is held, dirt passes. Either in a bucket, old sheet or sheet of plywood I dump the gravel. I put the gravel in a place where I want it.

So long story short I'm preparing the dirt( and I'll buy a yard or so of clean topsoil ) where I intend to build Monte Carducci; it will be terraced with a small winding road up to and around the Villa. I will have some paved area, possibly low voltage lighting as well as a water effect... It's forming in my mind as I write this... Plus I want a small lower section to offer some driving challenge to my 1/10 scale guys as well.

In addition to this I must teach my 2 old doggies the new trick of doing their 'business' somewhere else. Dog mines were banned by the Geneva Convention...

Jerry