RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 04:43 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to admit I'm outside my comfort zone on this one and running out of answers.

Side mounted a 100 on the Seawind and moved the tank down to the fuse below the wing tube. This lowered the CofG and should reduce changes and a tendency on this A/C to be a bit unstable in a turn when bank angle increased. To get the fuel up I mounted a Perry VP-30 on a fabbed bracket on the firewall.

NOTE: Have a Slimline Pitts style to go on this, but figured I would get a baseline before trying that.

Anyway, craft is ready to maiden IF I can get the bloody thing consistent. Ran it around the yard for over a half hour with no real issues. Took it to the field last weekend and first time throttling up the prop ejected, (lean condition). Never found the Higgleys so loaded it up again. At home pulled apart the filter. Since a new system this is most likely when you would see it blocked with "Schmigglies".

Yesterday tried again and here's the latest hair puller. Engine seems to peak out with the HS needle 2 1/2-3 turns out, but the LS is very close to bottomed out and hair sensitive. I have adjusted the pump output and even tried direct muffler pressure, (will have to put a check valve in the feed line for that one if I want to save my starter). No go for now as described, but I did also find a bit more consistency with the muffler feed disconnected, (straight pump).

So, still very sensitive on the LS, HS peaks out nice with good power, (15% nitro and 13/8 M/A 3-blade, a good combi for this one).

Other annoying problem is regardless of how I set the LS, it will cut out immediately or drag for a bit before dying off. I can extend that a bit, but find it loaded up when increasing throttle. I have a McD's Remote Glow in spares, but want to avoid any more systems and weight. Even though 2.4 also want to adhere to their instructions to avoid the glow power lead near the servo leads. With the throttle in the tail they would be pretty close as they come up the fin and into the pod.

Anyone have some suggestions? I have been looking into a Cline regulator setup but that one will need the tank pressurized 'ala YS and I find that problematic with a 4-stroke, (translated means no idea where to get the pressure pulse and still have effective case vent). Also heard that the VP-30 is a more consistent setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1187.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2166988   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1198.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2166989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1199.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	2166993  

Last edited by Cougar429; 06-09-2016 at 04:50 AM.