RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-60R3
Thread: Saito FG-60R3
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 05:22 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cathurga
I heard that the carb was developed with Walbro, but I still have a problem getting to the LS needle with my cowl/baffle setup, and I was getting inconsistent tune with it. I agree that the chainsaw carbs are designed with the ON/OFF attitude but I have managed to get mid-range burble out of all my 2-strokes, but only after they have been run in. All of them were a little inconsistent until I did the reed mods and put bowman rings in. Now, they are all running VERY well. This engine is not the same obviously, and the induction route is quite different. A butterfly carb works well on full-sized carb, albeit with cunning jet placement and a venture system that is a little more 'refined. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I just want easy access. |Typically I don't need to tune my engines much between seasons, maybe an 8th turn or so once they are run in and as close to reliable as possible.
The saito carb is not a piston throttle, its a rotating barrel, which is undoubtedly better than a butterfly, but I simply wanted to get a close tune, and then go from there.
Another problem I hit, is that I removed the idle screw and use the throttle servo as the stop so that I can cut it by trimming all the way down.....this thing just kept on running, even with the throttle completely closed. I have an opto, so can cut it anytime, but this is not supposed to happen.

Will contact the vendor, and if I don't have any luck, will put the old carb back on.
Air Leak see post 693