RCU Forums - View Single Post - Oxai -Matt Peridot
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 05:15 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cartercg
About a year and a half ago I badly damaged my Peridot after pushing the flight pack to hard for too long and end up paying the price with a very hard outfield crash. Fuze was damaged and the left wing destroyed. I've now completed the fuze repair. My first time tackling such a job, and I'm very pleased with the final result. Ended up going through the whole plane and repairing and re-spraying almost all of it, including stabs and rudder. A very time consuming process, and it leaves me with a greater appreciation of the skills and effort to scratch build to a high level of quality and finish.....EDIT
Regards
Clint
One of the beauties of woodwork is the that repairs are possible. Unless the thing was reduced to sticks, it can be repaired. Skill and patience is all it takes. Well, time too I suppose, but that's assumed.

A lot can be done with composites too unless these were reduced to a crushed mess. My Grifin suffered a fuse buckle in flight but I managed a controlled crash in a soy bean field which appeared to finish the job. My first impression was to put it in the trash. Now, after sitting on its perch for a few weeks, I am rethinking my initial impression.

It was a terrific flier so the effort to revive it and put in the extra strength where needed, is likely worth the effort. Wings and stabs suffered minor damage but the fuse was crushed in half aft of the wing TE. Have to rebuild about a 10" section of the fuse in balsa glass. Plus the crate was so light at about 4480 grams, it gives a lot of room.

Last edited by MTK; 06-15-2016 at 05:23 AM.